BIGGS M. D., EARLE LESLIE. Although numbered among the younger of men of his learned profession,
Dr. EARLE LESLIE BIGGS is recognized as one of the leading physicians and surgeons of Bradford
County, and his practice, which is a large one, is among the people of Starke and its vicinity.
While still engaged in a general practice, he pays special attention to gynecology and obstetrics,
and is a recognized authority upon these two subjects. Doctor BIGGS was born at the village
of Middleview, Escambia County, Florida, April 13, 1890, a son of WILLIAM HENRY BIGGS.
The birth of WILLIAM HENRY BIGGS took place on a farm at Red Springs, North Carolina, in 1855.
As he grew to manhood he became interested in farming, and later in the turpentine industry,
remaining in North Carolina until 1889, and in that year came to Florida and bought a sawmill
at Middleview. In 1891 he sold and bought another sawmill at Chipley, and conducted it for
two years. Leaving the sawmill industry, he became a citrus grower in Clay County, Florida,
and in 1897, went on a farm at Middleburg. Subsequently he became interested in lumbering and
sawmilling in that neighborhood. From 1908 to 1916 he was superintendent of public instruction
of Clay County, during which time he resided at Greene Cove Springs, but in 1917 moved to Lawtey,
where he is engaged in truck farming, and where he is postmaster. He has always been very
active as a democrat. The Methodist Episcopal Church has in him one of its most zealous members.
WILLIAM HENRY BIGGS married MARTHA E. CHAFFIN, born in Vermont, who was brought to North
Carolina by her parents before the war of the '60s. She and her husband are now enjoying
life in their comfortable home at Lawtey. They have had nine children born to them, Doctor
BIGGS being the sixth in order of birth.
Doctor BIGGS attended the common schools of Clay County and the Middleburg High School.
When he was seventeen years old he commenced to earn his own living, and for six months worked
in the sawmills of Middleburg. His next occupation was that of clerking in the commissary
store of the J.M. Sutherland Turpentine Company at Leno, Clay County. Through his own efforts
he obtained a course in a business college and a two-year Literary course at Stetson University.
His ambition was not yet satisfied, so he worked again until he had accumulated sufficient
money to give him a year at Birmingham Medical College, and the necessary courses at the
Atlanta Medical College, now a part of the medical department of Emory College, Atlanta,
Georgia, from which he was graduated in 1914, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He
entered at once upon a general practice at Lawtey, Bradford County, Florida. At once he
began to take an active part in politics, and served as a member of the City Council for two
years, and was urged to remain there permanently, but felt the need of a broader field, so
in 1920 came to the county seat. He has taken up post-graduate work at the Birmingham Post
Graduate College and at clinics at Jacksonville, Florida, and in 1922, at the New York Post
Graduate College in gynecology and obstetrics, in which subjects he is very much interested.
He belongs to the Bradford County Medical Society, the Florida State Medical Society and
the American Medical Association. Doctor BIGGS has no outside interests, for he devotes
all of his time and attention to his practice. He is a Mason.
On June 28, 1916, Doctor BIGGS married at Lawtey, Florida, IDA LEE ROBERTS, born at Saint
George, Georgia. She attended the Florida State College for Women at Tallahassee, Florida.
Her father, ENOCH J. ROBERTS, was a turpentine operator in Georgia and Northern Florida and
is now living retired at Lawtey, Florida. Doctor and Mrs. BIGGS have one son, EARLE LESLIE, Jr.