FL-GenWeb Digital Library and Archives
Duval Co. Biographies
BACON, Henry, M. D.
Transcribed from: The History of Florida: Past & Present, The Lewis Publishing Co., Vol.
II, page 43, 1923.
BACON, HENRY, M.D., has been engaged in the practice of his profession in the City of
Jacksonville for nearly forty years, and has secure vantage-ground as one of the representative
physicians and surgeons of the State of Florida. He is of the fourth generation of the BACON
family in the medical profession, and is a scion of fine old Colonial New England ancestry.
Doctor BACON was born at St. Marys, Camden County, Georgia, on the 27th of March, 1858, and
is a son of Dr. HENRY SADLER BACON and ANNIE M. (O'NEILL) BACON, the former of whom likewise
was a native of St. Marys, Georgia, where he was born November 28, 1832, and the latter of
whom was born on her father's plantation, New Hope, Nassau County, Florida, November 12, 1834,
this old plantation having been familiarly known as the O'NEIL Grant. The marriage of the
parents was solemnized November 28, 1855, and they became the parents of four children, two
of whom died in infancy, Doctor BACON of this review having been the second child, and a
sister, Miss FLORENCE IRENE, likewise being a resident of Jacksonville. Miss BACON was
educated in the female college maintained under the auspices of the Protestant Episcopal
Church at Winchester, Virginia, in which institution she was a member of the class of 1880.
She is now the state correspondent of the Colonial Dames of Florida, and has traced her
ancestry on the side of her paternal grandfather to JAMES BLOUNT, who was born in Wales and
who came to America in 1635, his death having occurred in 1685. It is through this ancestor
that Miss BACON is eligible for affiliation with the Colonial Dames.
Dr. HENRY S. BACON received a thorough professional education, as gauged by the standards
of his generation, and was engaged in the successful practice of medicine at St. Marys,
his native town in Georgia, at the time when the Civil war was precipitated on the nation.
He became a lieutenant in a Georgia Confederate regiment, and was in active service first
in Florida and next in Virginia. He was eventually transferred to the Medical Corps, with
the rank of captain, and later was advanced to the rank of major. After the close of the
war he established the family home at Fernandina, Florida, where he engaged in the practice
of his profession but his earnest services were soon terminated by his death, on the 12th
of August, 1866. His widow long survived him, she having passed to the life eternal on
the 2nd of October, 1917, and both were earnest communicants of the Protestant Episcopal Church.
Doctor BACON of this review is a lineal descendent of NATHANIEL BACON, who was born at
Stratton, Rutlandshire, England, and who came to America about 1649. He joined his uncle,
ANDREW BACON, at Hartford, Connecticut, where he became a member of the company organized
for the platting of the Town of Mattaseck, now known a Middletown, Connecticut, where he
became a prominent and influential citizen and extensive landholder. His name appears on a
bronze plate that is attached to a large granite boulder and that gives the names of the
founders of Middletown, this memorial being one of special historic interest in the thriving
Dr. HENRY BACON acquired his earlier education under the effective and solicitous direction
of his devoted mother, she having been a woman of superior education, her higher education
having been gained in La Grange College, at La Grange, Georgia. Doctor BACON attended the
high school in the City of Niles, Michigan, and thereafter continued his studies under private
tutorship at Goshen, New York. In preparation for his chosen profession he entered the
celebrated Bellevue Hospital Medical College in the City of New York, and in the same he was
graduated as a member of the class of 1883, and with the well earned degree of Doctor of
Medicine. He further fortified himself by a period of service as an intern in the City
Hospital of New York, and in 1885 he engaged in the active general practice of his profession
in the City of Jacksonville, Florida, which has since continued the stage of his able and
successful service as a physician and surgeon. He served a number of years as a member of
the staff of St. Luke's Hospital, a position which he finally resigned. The Doctor was a
valued member of the Duval County Board of Health during the yellow fever epidemic of 1888,
and at this time, as at all other stages in his career, he manifested a high ideal of
professional and personal stewardship. He has served both as president and secretary of
Duval County Medical Society, of which he is now one of the veteran members, and is actively
identified also with the Florida State Medical Society and the County Medical Society. In
1889 the Doctor received from Governor F. P. FLEMING commission as surgeon general of the
State of Florida, with the rank of colonel, and he held this office continuously under six
different gubernatorial administrations. He was retired with the rank of brigadier general
after nearly twenty-five years' service in the Florida National Guard . He has long
controlled a large and representative practice in Jacksonville, and is one of the leading
physicians and surgeons of Duval County. The Doctor is a stalwart in the camp of the
democratic party, and is an earnest communicant of the Protestant Episcopal Church.
Transcribed by Nancy Rayburn
©2016 Fran Smith
This page presented August 14, 2010