FLGenWeb Digital Library and Archives
Flagler Co. Biographies

BARRY, Rt. Rev. Patrick

Transcribed from: The History of Florida: Past & Present, The Lewis Publishing Co., Vol.
II, page 333, 1923.

Rt. Rev. Patrick BarryBARRY, Rt. Rev. PATRICK, who on May 3, 1922, was consecrated the fifth
Bishop of Saint Augustine, was elevated to this high office with impressive
ceremonies, the central figure in which was his predecessor, now Archbishop
MICHAEL J. CURLEY of Baltimore, successor of Cardinal GIBBONS. In Saint
Augustine, his Cathedral City, was established the first Catholic Parish in
the United States. The church records of Saint Augustine, preserved in
the cathedral, run back to the year 1594.

Bishop BARRY was born in County Clare, Ireland, November 15, 1870, and was
one of a family of eighteen children, thirteen of whom were alive when he
was consecrated Bishop, and eleven of them in the United States. One of
his brothers is a priest in Jacksonville, another in Ireland, and a sister
is a Dominican nun in Michigan. His parents were MICHAEL and CATHERINE
(DIXON) BARRY. His father died in 1911, and his mother in 1913.

PATRICK BARRY was educated in the National School at his birthplace, and in October, 1887, at
the age of seventeen, entered Mungret College at Limerick, which is also the alma mater of
Archbishop CURLEY. In 1890 he entered St. Patrick's Seminary at Carlow, and was ordained a
priest there June 9, 1895. A few days later he sailed for America, and in August began his
long and profitable service in Florida. He became an assistant priest in Jacksonville, and
during the Spanish-American war he acted as a volunteer chaplain and distinguished himself
by his devotion and self-sacrifice in the camp at Jacksonville when hundreds of soldiers fell
victims to typhoid fever. Several years later, after the destructive fire of 1901, he became
a leader in relief work at Jacksonville. His health failing through the strain of hard work,
he was relieved from his duties at Jacksonville and put in charge of parish and missions at
Palatka and in a number of surrounding towns. He was soon given a vacation from those duties
and went to Southern France, where he rapidly recovered, and from there went on to Rome, where
for the first time he met the brilliant young student, now Archbishop CURLEY. During the
ten years he had charge of the church at Palatka and surrounding Missions, he distinguished
himself for his ability as a financier and administrator, and made many notable improvements
in church extension and building. In 1913 he was called to take charge of a new parish in
South Jacksonville, and in four years had built a church, rectory and made other improvements,
all of which were paid for. In 1917 he was summoned to Saint Augustine to become rector of
the cathedral and vicar general of the diocese under Bishop CURLEY. On June 9, 1920, he
celebrated his silver jubilee and on February 22, 1922, the news came from Rome of his
appointment by the Pope as successor of Bishop CURLEY.



Transcribed by Nancy Rayburn

 Go Back
2016 Fran Smith
This page presented August 19, 2010