FLGenWeb Digital Library and Archives
ANDERSON, Francis M.
Transcribed from: The History of Florida: Past & Present, The Lewis Publishing Co., Vol.
Presented by Nancy Rayburn
II, page 180, 1923.
ANDERSON, FRANCIS M. came to Tampa a few years after completing his college education, and
on his personal merits has achieved a conspicuous place in the business affairs of that city
where he is president of the Tampa Coal Company and the Tampa Wood Company, is proprietor of
the Anderson Overton Tire Company and is manager of the Beeman-Beckworth Company.
Mr. ANDERSON was born on the eastern shore of Virginia, October 11, 1882, son of Rev. J. G.
and FANNIE (DAVIS) ANDERSON. His father, a doctor of divinity and long identified with the
profession of the ministry, is now living at Gainesville, Florida. FRANCIS ANDERSON is the
second in a family of six children. He spent his early youth in the various localities where
his father was a minister, chiefly at Williamsburg, Virginia, four years at Harrisburg, North
Carolina, and six years at Millersburg, Kentucky. Mr. ANDERSON graduated A. B. in 1903 from
Emory College at Oxford, Georgia, and for several years was in the employ of the government
engineers during the survey and improvement of Tampa Bay.
He began his business there in the office of Henry Giddens Clothing Company, was bookkeeper
for the Knight & Wall Company, and about 1908 engaged in the coal business and incorporated
it in 1910, since which year he has been president of the Tampa Coal Company and the Tampa
Wood Company. In 1912 he became sales manager for the Cadillac Motor Company, and the following
year he was sales manager at Tampa for the Chalmers cars. He subsequently spent a year with
the Hillsboro Company inspecting brick. During 1917-18 Mr. ANDERSON served as a lieutenant
in the Naval Reserves in the Sixth Section of the Seventh Naval District. He has been manager
of the Beeman-Beckwith Company since 1919 and in 1921 he organized the Anderson Tire and Supply
Mr. ANDERSON is a member of the Masonic Order and Elks, belongs to the Tampa Yacht Club and
Country Club, and was the Fifth King of the Mystic Krewe.
This page created August 21, 2010
© 2010 Fran Smith