FLGenWeb Digital Library and Archives  

Hillsborough Biographies
BROWN, Charles H.

Transcribed from:  The History of Florida:  Past & Present, The Lewis Publishing Co., Vol. 
II, page 176, 1923.

BROWN, CHARLES H. The city officials of Tampa are men of ability, character and experience
who represents all of the elements which go to make up the city and county, who are familiar
with the daily life, needs and experiences of the people, and who have the desire as well
as the qualifications and zeal, to serve the people in the offices which they are filling.
Notable among these representative men is CHARLES H. BROWN, mayor of the city, and a man
who has rendered conspicuous public service in protecting and administering the affairs of
the municipality. He has fought to eliminate spoils, greed and mismanagement from the
affairs of the city, and his untiring efforts have resulted in an administration of efficiency
and economy.

CHARLES H. BROWN was born at Abbeville, Georgia, March 12, 1868, and was brought to Florida
by his parents when he was only two years old. He was reared in this state, and began his
business career as a merchant, but later became a railroad contractor, and carried on extensive
operations as such. In this connection he also became interested in real estate, and was
active in promoting the naval stores development in Florida during the early years of the
present century. As one of the organizers of the First National Bank of Live Oak, he invested
heavily in its stock, was its first president, and had so developed the resources of that
institution that when he retired he was succeeded in the presidency by CARY A. HARDEE, now
governor of Florida.

Coming to Tampa in 1908 he at once began to take a compelling part in its activities. He
built the Tampa and Gulf Coast Railroad, from Tampa to St. Petersburg and the West Coast,
and is still president of the company, and he is vice president of the National City Bank,
and is the only man who is a member of both the Rotary and Kiwanis clubs of Tampa. Having
great faith in Tampa he has acquired, through purchase, the ownership of the Sparkman Building
on Franklin Street. Ever since coming to the city he has given of his time and money to
advance its best interests, and belongs to numerous organizations and fraternities, not only
those of local repute, but many throughout the state. Soon after his arrival at Tampa he
was made one of the governors of the Tampa Board of Trade, and still retains that important
office, and for one year he served that body as president. For several years he was a member
of the Board of Public Works of Tampa, and as such made an enviable record. Mr. BROWN was
elected a member of the Charter Commission which drew up the new city charter, and was nominated
by the Commission Government League for mayor, and was elected the first mayor under the commission
form of government.

Mr. BROWN was married to Miss MAGGIE GARDNER, and they have five children, namely: ISLA,
KARL, NELL, MARGARET and BROWNIA, and three of them are married, and all have reached maturity.
Mr. BROWN belongs to the new school of public officials, and is earnestly endeavoring to
give to the affairs of the city the same wise and effective management which has brought
about such desirable results in his business operations.
Presented by  Nancy Rayburn
Return to Archives        Hillsborough Archives
This page created August 21, 2010
 © 2010 Fran Smith