AYARS, Emerson W. M.D.
Transcribed from: The History of Florida: Past & Present, The Lewis Publishing Co., Vol.
II, page 144, 1923.
AYARS, EMERSON W. M.D. A physician and surgeon with nearly thirty years of active experience,
Doctor AYARS lived in Western New York until he joined the Medical Corps at the time of the
World war. This service brought him South, and since leaving the army he has been a permanent
resident and professional man at Coconut Grove, Dade County. Doctor AYARS has two sons who
were also ex-service men of the World war.
He was born at Dodge Center in Dodge County, Minnesota, in 1866, son of ELI B. and REBECCA J.
(AYERS) AYARS. His father, who was born at Shiloh in Cumberland County, New Jersey, was an
early pioneer of the Northwest. He migrated to Minnesota Territory in 1856, and his home
in Dodge County was on the extreme frontier until after the Civil war. EMERSON W. AYARS,
when a youth, returned East having graduated from the Dodge Center High School in 1886.
In 1887 he entered Alfred University at Alfred, Allegany County, New York, and remained there
until completing his literary education, graduating A.B. in 1891. He then entered the
College of Physicians and Surgeons at Baltimore, from which he received his M.D. degree in
1895. Doctor AYARS located and practiced medicine at Richburg in Allegany County, New York,
for ten years, during which time he served as coroner, and in 1905 returned to Alfred in the
same county, where he continued his professional work in eh congenial surroundings of his
old college town until the beginning of his army service.
In April, 1918, Doctor AYARS volunteered for service and was commissioned captain of the
Medical Corps of the United States Army. He was sent to Camp Greenleaf at Chickamauga Park,
Georgia, and from there to Camp Wheeler at Macon, Georgia. At Camp Wheeler he became chief
medical officer of Development Battalion No. 2, and a member of the Overseas Examining Board.
He continued those duties at Camp Wheeler until after the close of the war, being discharged
January 2, 1919.
A few days after leaving the army service Doctor AYARS located at Coconut Grove and began
the practice of his profession. He has a busy general practice and also looks after some
important property interests he has acquired here and has become thoroughly identified with
this beautiful Florida residential community. He is owner of the subdivision known as the
Allamanda Gardens, and in that subdivision he erected a fine new home for himself and family
Doctor AYARS is a member of the County, State and American Medical associations, and is a
member of the American Legion; both his sons being affiliated with the same organization
while his wife and his daughter are members of the Women's Auxiliary of the Legion. Doctor
AYARS married FLORENCE E. GREEN, of Allegany County, New York. Their children are : ERLING
E., LISTER S. and ALICE A. The latter is an instructor in glazing and firing pottery in
the Technical High School of Cleveland, Ohio, having in this department charge of twenty-three
high schools. ERLING volunteered at the age of twenty-three and was in training camp at
Madison Barracks, New York. LISTER S. volunteered at the age of eighteen with the New York
National Guard, becoming a member of Company K, One Hundred and Eighth Infantry, Twenty-seventh
Division. With this command he went overseas and saw service at the front in France as a
member of the Intelligence Department. He was overseas for one year.