FLGenWeb Digital Library and Archives 

Biographies

DAVIS, Phil J.  


Source: The Lewis Publishing Co., Vol. III pg. 54-5 1923
Author: The History of Florida: Past & Present

DAVIS, PHIL J. As a general contractor, designer and builder PHIL J. DAVIS has probably handled the largest amount of distinctive and important work in the building program of Miami within last three years. His record speaks for itself and offers remarkable evidence of his honest service, the efficiency he has put into his organization, and the thoroughness and speed with which he handles every contract, both large and small. He has had more than a score of years of experience in the building industry, and he brings to his clients the technical skill of an architect as well as the motive power of the building contractor.

Mr. DAVIS was born and reared in New York City, and in his education, he specialized in drafting. As a youth he became an employee of a large New York construction concern, and for a time was a construction supervisor there. For nearly five years Mr. DAVIS was located at Montréal, Canada, where he put up two handsome theaters and completed a total of building to the value of over $5,000,000. Then for two and a half years he was again in New York, and in that city erected several large apartment houses.During the World war Mr. DAVIS was in the employ of the J.G. White Engineering Corporation as second in charge of the $13,500,000 powerhouse built for the Government in connection with the $100,000,000 construction enterprise involved in the Nitrate manufacturing project at Muscle Shoals. He was on duty there as assistant superintendent of construction for about eighteen months, and the War Department gave him its official certificate of commendation for his efficiency and patriotism.In July, 1919, Mr. DAVIS came to Miami, and since then has developed an organization capable of doing the immense work required in the phenomenal development of this city. He started here practically alone, and now has an organization with a weekly payroll of about $10,000. His first building was the Afremow Block in Buena Vista. Since then he has erected over three score commercial buildings and residences, and his business at Miami during 1921 amounted to over $1,500,000. Two buildings, each a landmark in Miami's commercial district completed in 1922, are the handsome buildings of the Moore Furniture Company and the Fairfax Theater. The Moore Building was completed in ninety working days, and the Fairfax Theater in seventy-two days. Mr. DAVIS has personally designed a number of the buildings he has erected in Miami, and the secret of his efficiency and economical handling of contracts is due to his personal attention to every detail of his business. He has a large organization, practically in three departments, one for residence, one for jobbing and one for the larger class of commercial structures. Among the many high-class residences and commercial structures credited to Mr. DAVIS in the Miami district are the Moore Furniture Company structure, Fairfax Theater, Granada Apartment, Clayton Building, Buena Vista Post Office, Claremont Apartments, F. J. Marion residence, Bradford Hotel, Helene Hotel, Marlborough Hotel, Studebaker Building, St. Regis Apartments, seven residences in Gold Court, Cadillac Building, five residences in Bryan Park, seven residences in Biltmore, Dixie Tea House, the Afremow Block, Buena Vista, the Afremow–Randall stores at Miami Beach.

Mr. DAVIS has become an enthusiastic factor in the citizenship of Miami, is a member of the city's Chamber of Commerce and Kiwanis Club and is a thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason and Shriner and an Elk. He married Miss SADIE B. MACKLER, of New York, and their home is at 323 Northeast Twenty-Seventh Street, old Goldcourt.



Presented by  Nancy Rayburn





Return to Archives        Palm Beach Archives
This page created July 5, 2012