FLGenWeb Digital Library and Archives 

Biographies

BROWN, George W.


Transcribed from:  The History of Florida:  Past & Present, The Lewis Publishing Co., Vol. 
II, page 250, 1923.

BROWN, GEORGE W., president of the dependable Brown & Wilcox Company, extensive builders
and contractors, is one of the representative men of West Palm Beach, and one who is connected
with some of the most important building operations in Palm Beach County. He was born at
Wenonah, New Jersey, and after serving his apprenticeship at the carpenter trade, worked at
it for some years as a journeyman before taking up the serious business of building and
contracting on his own account.

Mr. BROWN is a pioneer in the building industry at West Palm Beach and Palm Beach, having
located here permanently in 1900, and on account of the large volume of business and the
expensiveness of the buildings he has erected in these two cities and throughout South Florida
he easily ranks as the leading builder of this section of the state. When Mr. BROWN first
came to West Palm Beach it was practically merely the junction point for the tourist business
to the world-famed resort, Palm Beach, but now it is one of the most modern of the flourishing
cities of the South, and Mr. BROWN has taken a leading part in this expansion. A complete
list of the buildings he has erected would be too lengthy for this article, but a few of the
leading ones must be given, for they include at West Palm Beach the Glidden Building, the
Wilcox Building, and a large number of other business blocks and handsome residences. At
Palm Beach he built the Beaux Arts Building, residences for OTTO KAHN, and JOSEPH ELWELL,
a New York banker, the WILLIAM WALLER, BROWN and WILCOX residences and the residences at
Palm Beach of CHARLES L. HARDING, C. C. BOLTON, PERCY WILLIAMS, R. D. DOUGLAS and those of
other winter residents of distinction at Palm Beach. More recently he erected at West Palm
Beach, in conjunction with Mr. Wilcox, the First National Bank Building, and in 1922 the
new Guaranty Building, the largest one in the city, and one of the finest office buildings
in Florida. This building is located at the corner of Olive and Datura streets, is seven
stories in height, 92 X 93 feet. The material throughout is of re-inforced concrete, with
tile floors and exterior finish of stucco, with terra cotta inserts. The wainscoting,
pilasters and beams are built of marble, and the entire building is of beautiful architectural
design. Mr. BROWN is a member of the Advisory Board of the American National Bank. He
belongs to the Chamber of Commerce, and is thoroughly identified with all progressive
movements of West Palm Beach.

CLARENCE WILCOX, vice-president of the Brown & Wilcox Company, was born at Westfield, New
Jersey, and he joined Mr. BROWN about 1912. He is a member of the Board of Directors of
the American National Bank, and both he and his associate enjoy the full confidence of
their community and the business world.
Pesented by Nancy Rayburn

Return to Archives              Palm Beach Archives

This page created August 24, 2010
 © 2010 Fran Smith