FLGenWeb Digital Library and Archives
HARVEY, Henry Stephen
Presented by Nancy Rayburn
Author: The History of Florida: Past & Present, The Lewis Publishing Co., 1923, Vol. II pg.209
CLARKE, L. PHILLIPS and HENRY STEPHEN HARVEY. The professional skill
and artistic ability of the two young men composing the dependable
architectural firm of Harvey & Clarke of West Palm Beach are unquestioned, and
they have built up a fine patronage and are numbered among the leaders in
their line in Palm Beach County.
HENRY STEPHEN HARVEY, the senior member of the firm, was born in
Alabama, and educated in the University of Pennsylvania, from which he was
graduated in architecture in 1914, after which he was engaged as supervisor of
building construction until he entered the World war, early in 1918. He was
commissioned a second lieutenant from civil life and was assigned to duty in
the air service as construction supervisor of aviation buildings at various
aviation camps throughout the country. After his honorable discharge from the
army service he resumed his work as an architect, and early in 1921 located
for the practice of his profession at West Palm Beach. With Mr. CLARKE as his
associate he has designed and supervised the construction of some of the most
notable buildings in this city and at Palm Beach. At the latter place should
be mentioned the modern residences of JAMES KING CLARKE, WILLIAM S. THOMAS and
T. J. SMYTH. He was the architect, assisted by Mr. CLARKE, of the New
Guaranty Building in West Palm Beach, and they supervised its construction.
In May, 1922, they began work on a modern office building, the largest and
finest in the city, and one of the best in Florida. It is a seven-story
building, and besides having a beautiful architectural appearance, embodies in
its construction every modern convenience and comfort that an office building
can have. It is being erected at a cost of $200,000. The firm also designed
and built the Forrest Building and other business structures and residences at
West Palm Beach and in its vicinity. They are members of the Chamber of
Commerce, the Kiwanis Club, the Palm Beach Yacht Club, of the American
Institute of Architects and the Florida State Architects Association, and Mr.
HARVEY belongs to the T Square Club, architectural, of Philadelphia,
L. PHILLIPS CLARKE was born at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, but is
practically a product of Palm Beach, having come here annually from his
infancy with his parents on their winter visits to the famous resort. His
father, LOUIS S. CLARKE, was one of the pioneers of Palm Beach, where he
established a winter residence in the early ‘80s. His home, “Dulciora”,
located on Lake Trail South, is one of the most attractive estates at Palm
Beach. His summer home is at Haverford, Pennsylvania.
LOUIS S. CLARKE is an engineer by profession, and a man of great
importance in the industrial world. He was the founder of the great Auto Car
Company of Ardmore, Pennsylvania, manufacturers of trucks. He was in fact one
of the first motor car manufacturers, having been associated with the
Pittsburgh Motor Vehicle Company, which was organized in 1896. It was he who
was responsible for the first shaft-driven automobile in America. He also
designed the naval bomb fuse which has been adopted as standard by the United
States Government, and has also been adopted for army use.
L. PHILLIPS CLARKE was educated at Palm Beach and in Philadelphia, is
an architect by profession, and, as above stated, is associated with HENRY
STEPHEN HARVEY in the firm of Harvey & Clarke. During the World war Mr.
CLARKE served his country as chief machinist’s mate, enlisting in the United
States Navy, April 17, 1917. He was assigned to duty as inspector of
submarine destroying bombs at Philadelphia and in France.
This page created August 22, 2010
© 2010 Fran Smith