FLGenWeb Digital Library and Archives
BURTON, W. C.
Transcribed from: The History of Florida: Past & Present, The Lewis Publishing Co., Vol.
Pesented by Nancy Rayburn
II, page 335, 1923.
BURTON, W. C. has been substantially identified with the business interests and civic welfare
of St. Petersburg for a long period of years. He is in the wholesale and retail grocery
business, and is now head of the flourishing establishment in which at one time he was clerk.
Mr. BURTON was born at Batesburg, South Carolina, October 28, 1874, son of N. N. and MARY
(COONER) BURTON, also natives of South Carolina and now deceased. He is the third child
and only son in a family of five children. Mr. BURTON acquired a common school education,
spent two years in Furman University in North Carolina, and in 1905 came to Florida, direct
to St. Petersburg. He began his business career here as clerk in the E. F. LEWIS store.
He made his duties an opportunity for a successful career of his own, and on July 1, 1913,
the business was incorporated as the Lewis-Burton Company. In 1919 another change was made,
and since then it has been the W. C. BURTON Company, wholesale and retail grocers, of
which Mr. BURTON is president and active manager.
In 1912 he married Miss ELEANOR WALLACE, of Michigan. Mr. BURTON is affiliated with the
Masonic Lodge and the Grotto of that order, is a member of the Board of Trade, and can be
counted upon to throw his influence in behalf of every worthy movement for the betterment
of the community.
This page created August 24, 2010
© 2010 Fran Smith