FLGenWeb Digital Library and Archives 



Source: The Lewis Publishing Co., Vol.III   pg.191  1923
Author: The History of Florida: Past & Present

CUNNINGHAM, ERNEST G. has long been closely associated with the commercial
life of St. Petersburg, while he is also vice president of the Ninth Street
Bank and Trust Company. He is one of the city’s most progressive men, and is
also a factor in local government, being a member of the city commission.
He was born at Fletchers, Henderson County, North Carolina, July 19,
1882, oldest son of the six sons and two daughters of WILLIAM E. and ALICE S.
(GUICE) CUNNINGHAM. His parents were also born in Henderson County, North
Carolina. Mr. CUNNINGHAM was educated in public schools, in Weaverville
College, and for a number of years was an assistant to his father, a general
merchant. In 1912 he came to St. Petersburg, and for 1 ½ years was an
employee of the Harrison Hardware Company. In 1914 he engaged in the grocery
business at Seventh Avenue and Ninth Street North. In 1917 he secured a fine
corner location at Ninth and Central avenues, and the business is now one of
the largest grocery establishments in the city, conducted as Cunningham
Brothers, the partners being H.E., D.B. and E.G. CUNNINGHAM. Mr. E.G.
CUNNINGHAM is the active manager.
A successful business man he has been interested in several
enterprises of St. Petersburg. He bought in 1921 a lot on Central Avenue and
erected the Cunningham Hotel, a hotel of twenty-five rooms with modern
equipment, while the first floor of the building is occupied by the branch of
the Harrison Hardware Company. Mr. CUNNINGHAM was elected city commissioner
of St. Petersburg in 1921. He is one of the leading members of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, South, serving on the board of stewards and teacher of the
junior department in the Sunday School. He is affiliated with the Knights of
In 1919 Mr. CUNNINGHAM married STELLA S. WOLFE of Henderson County,
North Carolina, where she was born and educated. They have two children,
Pesented by Nancy Rayburn

Return to Archives              Pasco Archives

This page created August 24, 2010
 © 2010 Fran Smith