FLGenWeb Digital Library and Archives
BURKET, John Franklin
Transcribed from: The History of Florida: Past & Present, The Lewis Publishing Co., Vol.
Pesented by Nancy Rayburn
III, page 264, 1923.
BURKET, JOHN FRANKLIN has maintained his residence at Sarasota since the autumn of 1912 and
his standing as a representative member of the bar of this section of the state rests upon
the solid basis of successful work achieved by him in his profession. He controls a substantial
and important law business and maintains his office in the First National Bank building.
Mr. BURKET was born at Findlay, judicial center of Hancock County, Ohio, and the date of his
nativity was June 15, 1875. He is a son of Judge JACOB FILLMORE BURKET and PAMELIA D.
(WALTERS) BURKET, the former a native of Perry County, Ohio, and the later of Richland County,
that state, both families having been founded in Ohio in the pioneer period of its history.
Judge BURKET became one of the foremost legists and jurists of the Buckeye State, as is evident
when it is noted that he served with distinction as chief justice of the Supreme Court of Ohio.
After his retirement from the Supreme bench he became associated with his two sons, HARLAN F.
and JOHN F., in the practice of law at Findlay, Ohio, where long before, he had been a leading
member of the Hancock County bar, and he there continued in practice with his sons until his
death, in October, 1906. His wife likewise died at the old family home in that city.
In the public schools of Findlay, JOHN FRANKLIN BURKET continued his studies until he had
ompleted a course in the graded school, and thereafter he continued his studies by attending
Findlay College. He next attended historic old Phillips-Exeter Academy, at Exeter, New Hampshire,
in which he was graduated in 1896, and thereafter he was for one year a student in Williams
College, at Williamstown, Massachusetts. In 1899 he was graduated in Oberlin College, at
Oberlin, Ohio, from which he received the degree of Bachelor of Philosophy, and, after this
diversified and thorough preparation along academic lines, he began his study for the profession
that had been signally honored and dignified by the service and achievement of his father. In
1903 he was graduated in the law department of the University of Michigan, and his reception
of the degree of Bachelor of Laws was almost immediately followed by his admission to the bar
of his native state. He forthwith became associated with his brother, HARLAND F., in the
practice of law at Findlay, their native city, and in February, 1904, their father retired
from the Supreme bench and became head of the law firm, with which he continued his alliance
until his death, in October, 1906, as previously noted in this review. The partnership of
the two sons was thereafter continued until October, 1912, when JOHN F. BURKET withdrew,
resigned his substantial law business in Ohio and established himself in practice at Sarasota,
Florida, which city was then in Manatee County, but which is now the county seat of the new
County of Sarasota, created in 1921. Here Mr. BURKET has built up a large and representative
practice and has secure vantage-ground as one of the leading members of the bar of the new
county. He has served continuously as city attorney since January, 1914, is a republican in
political allegiance and is an active member of the Sarasota County Bar Association. He and
his wife are communicants of the Protestant Episcopal Church. In the Masonic fraternity he
has passed various official chairs in the York Rite bodies, his blue Lodge and Chapter
affiliations being maintained in Sarasota, where he is also a member of the Commandery of
Knights Templars, while at Bradentown, Manatee County, he is affiliated with the Council
of Royal and Select Masters. He is an honorary life member of St. Petersburg Lodge, No.
1224, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks at St. Petersburg, Florida, and also of the
lodge in his native City of Findlay, Ohio, of both of which he is a past exalted ruler.
He is affiliated also with the Knights of Pythias and with the Delta Upsilon, the Phi Delta
Phi, and the Theta Nu Epsilon college fraternities.
On the 21st of September, 1905, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. BURKET to Miss BESS
LOUISE HOEGE, who was born at Fostoria, Ohio, a daughter of Dr. GEORGE L. and HARRIET
(WALDING) HOEGE, both likewise natives of Ohio, their home being now maintained at Sarasota,
Florida. Mr. and Mrs. BURKET have two children: HARRIET WALDING, born June 14, 1908, and
JOHN FRANKLIN, Jr., born September 26, 1915.
(Note: By 1924 Bradentown's name had been changed to Bradenton, by which it is known today.)
This page created August 24, 2010
© 2010 Fran Smith