FLGenWeb Digital Library and Archives
CAMPBELL, Charles H., Jr.
Author: The History of Florida: Past & Present, The Lewis Publishing Co., Vol.II page 31, 1923
Presented by Nancy Rayburn
CAMPBELL, Jr., CHARLES H., is a veteran automobile man in Florida. He
entered the business as one of the first dealers, was a participant in the
famous racing meets at Daytona Beach, and for a number of years he has been
the authorized Ford agent at DeLand. Mr. CAMPBELL owns what is asserted by
competent judges to be the finest garage in Florida.
He was born at Sanford, Florida, June 2, 1886, son of C. H. and VIRGINIA
D. (SMITH) CAMPBELL. His grandfather, DAVID CAMPBELL, was an attorney by
profession, one of the prominent members of the bar of Jacksonville, and an ex-
confederate soldier. C. H. CAMPBELL, Sr., was born in Georgia, and was a
child when his parents located at Jacksonville. He became a traveling
salesman, and established his home at Sanford before the railroad was
constructed. For many years he was on the road for JOHN G. CHRISTOPHER, and
was widely known among business men as Uncle Charlie. He conducted the Valdez
Hotel at Sanford, and conducted the Montezuma at the time of his death in
1922, on October 3rd. He was also a pioneer in celery culture in Florida.
Fraternally he was a Knight of Pythias and an Elk. Mr. and Mrs. CAMPBELL had
two children, CHARLES H., Jr., and IRENE. The latter is the wife of Captain
HUGH ELMENDORF, of the Aviation Corps who saw service on the battle front in
France, and is now stationed at Ellington Filed in Texas.
CHARLES H. CAMPBELL, Jr., was educated in Sanford, and for a time pursued
the law course in John B. Stetson University of DeLand. He left school to
engage in the automobile business in 1909. Mr. CAMPBELL has always been
interested in sports, and while in college played quarterback on the football
team and as catcher for the baseball team. He established the first
automobile service between DeLand, Lake Helen and Orange City, and this was
the first motor transportation line in Volusia County, and his equipment to
start with consisted of an ancient Cadillac and a Reo car. In 1916 he became
Ford agent for this district, and he is also interested in the Ford agency at
Daytona. His handsome garage was only recently completed.
Mr. CAMPBELL has been active in the civic affairs of DeLand, has served
as a member of the Council and is the present mayor, having been elected to
that office in 1920. He is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias and Elks,
is a member of the Commercial Club, and he and his wife belong to the First
Baptist Church. He married in 1913 CRYSTAL DAVIS, daughter of Doctor G. A.
DAVIS, of DeLand. They have one son, CHARLES D.
This page created May 1, 2010
© 2010 Fran Smith