FLGenWeb Digital Library and Archives
Calvin W. Davis , M. D.
1890 - 1973
member of the medical profession, a specialist in the X-ray and other
branches, Doctor DAVIS came to Daytona Beach soon after his release
from army service. He served a number of months overseas.
Doctor DAVIS was born in Atlanta, Georgia, April 16,
1890, and has earned and made his own way to success. His parents
are ROBERT W. and ELLA (WELLS) DAVIS, still residents of Atlanta.
His father has spent many years as a conductor with the Central of
Georgia and Southern Railroad. Doctor DAVIS before finishing his
public school education was earning his way by work during vacations
with the railroad company. He worked in the yards as a switchman
and switch conductor. He attended the Atlanta High School, also
the Griffin District Institute at Zebulon, Georgia, and on June 2,
1914, graduated from the Atlanta Medical College. In college and
since he has specialized in X-ray laboratory work, and in the
laboratory technique that is becoming more and more essential in the
modern practice of medicine and surgery he has qualifications probably
not surpassed by any other physician in Florida. He is also a
After graduating he spent one year in St. Joseph’s Infirmary at
Atlanta, practiced medicine sixteen months in New Mexico, and on August
15, 1917, entered the army. He had ten weeks of training in Camp
Oglethorpe, Georgia, six months in the Base Hospital at Fort Worth,
Texas, six weeks in the Rockefeller Institute and two months in the
Army Medical School at Washington.
On going overseas Doctor DAVIS was assigned to Baser
Hospital No. 84 in France, and was chief of laboratory at that
point. He served there with the rank of first lieutenant and
subsequently was promoted to captain. He returned to the United
States in May, 1919, and in August of the same year began his practice
at Daytona Beach. He is a member of the County, State and
American Medical associations.
Presented by Nancy Rayburn
This page created May 1, 2010
© 2010 Fran Smith